Last week, BP proclaimed that they are not restricting cleanup workers from speaking to the media.
The above video indicates otherwise.
On Wednesday, BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles sent a letter to CNN stating the following:
“Recent media reports have suggested that individuals involved in the cleanup operation have been prohibited from speaking to the media, and this is simply untrue,” BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said in a letter e-mailed to CNN by a company spokesman.
“BP fully supports and defends all individuals rights to share their personal thoughts and experiences with journalists if they choose.”
But on Friday when a New Orleans TV reporter tried to step onto a public beach to interview workers, he was met by a threatening security guard who forbade him from entering the beach.
The reporter entered the beach anyway with the guard at his heels. When the reporter asked the workers if they would like to be interviewed, they all said no.
But it was obvious they all feared getting retaliated against.