Protests continued on Saturday following Friday’s mistrial of a North Carolina cop who shot and killed an unarmed man looking for help following a car accident.
Meanwhile, one juror decided to break his silence on the case.
The voluntary manslaughter trial of Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer Randall Kerrick, who shot the unarmed Jonathan Ferrell, 24, to death ended this week in a mistrial. The jury was deadlocked 8-4, for his acquittal, after deliberating for four days. Now, Moses Wilson, one of those jurors, is speaking out.
“The defense, knowing certain things, knew it had to use sleight of hand and point in another direction,” Moses Wilson told AP.
He explained that the prosecution presented a clear case that warranted a conviction, but that the defense had too successfully put Ferrell on trial – for not knowing how to avoid being killed by the cop.
— Jessi Nakamura (@Jessi4JC) August 14, 2015
On September 14, 2013, Ferrell had been seriously injured in a car accident and went to a nearby home seeking assistance. The resident opted to call 911 and report that the college student was attempting to break into their home instead of helping him.
When the cops arrived on the scene, Ferrell walked to the officers with his arms outstretched, likely believing that they were there to help him.
Instead, one cop shot a taser at him, prompting him to run.
Then Kerrick fired 12 shots of live ammunition, ten of which hit him.
Kerrick’s own police captain, Mike Campagna, testified during the trial that the officer had broken their policy and that nonlethal means should have been used to subdue Ferrell.
It also came out that Kerrick never identified himself as a police officer to the college student who was simply seeking help.
The officer’s attorney’s claimed that he fired at the unarmed man because he feared that he was about to be attacked and that the young man would steal his gun.
“It became, not what he did, or what they did to him, but more, what he didn’t do, what he should have known what to do, so that the police would not have had to beat him silly or shoot him,” Wilson said.
Deliberations sound as thought they were tense, as jurors became frustrated, and the jury foreman worked to prevent the situation in the jury room from escalating.
The city has already paid out a $2.25 million settlement to Ferrell’s family. The prosecutor stated that they will be reviewing the case to determine whether or not they would like to proceed with a retrial.
Meanwhile, protests have continued in the city, beginning with a die-in outside the courtroom on Friday.
— blicqer (@blicqer) August 22, 2015
— Ann Doss Helms (@anndosshelms) August 10, 2015
They continued throughout the evening and some people began to throw rocks at police. Two arrests were made for assaulting officers.
The protest picked back up again on Saturday as demonstrators marched through downtown Charlotte.
The police chief has vowed to have an absurd amount of cops present for the protests.
“We’re going to have officers, lots and lots of officers, as always” he said. “On foot, bicycles, motorcycles and cars. If we had horses, we’d put them on horses as well.” Police Chief Kerr Putney said at a press conference.
On Saturday, there was one more arrest for assault on a police officer.
— Alexa Ashwell (@AlexaWSOC9) August 23, 2015