In what is being called the largest settlement of its kind in South Carolina, the family of Walter Scott will receive a $6.5 million settlement after an approval by the North Charleston City Council Thursday night.
Scott, of course, was the man shot in the back in April while running away from a traffic stop after being pulled over for a broken taillight.
He had a warrant out for his arrest for failure to pay child support and did not want to go to jail.
Now his four children should have enough money to last them well into adulthood.
According to CNN:
Scott had four children who will benefit from the settlement, attorneys for the family said. “He was a good father,” said his brother Anthony Scott. “People say how was he a good father and behind on child support? The system needs to be changed. There needs to be some things changed in the system so there is a balance. His children loved him and he loved his children,” he said.
Scott said his family will donate a portion of the settlement to Red Cross disaster relief efforts. Parts of South Carolina have been in dire straits in recent days after torrential rains and deadly flooding.
Scott also praised the local government for the settlement.
“The city of Charleston’s actions have ensured that Walter did not die in vain,” he said. “The city sent a message, loud and clear, that this type of reckless behavior will not be tolerated.”
Attorney Chris Stewart, who represented the Scott family in the settlement, said it’s a “blueprint” of how police shootings should be handled.
Meanwhile, the North Charleston cop who shot and killed him, Michael Slager, remains in jail on murder charges.
A video recorded by witness Feidin Santana shows Slager shooting Scott in the back, then walking up to the body and dropping a taser by it while yelling for him to put his hands behind his back.
He also reported that Scott tried to take his taser as a way to justify killing him.
Slager last month was denied bond after a judge determined that the “release of Defendant would constitute an unreasonable danger to the community.”
Thursday’s settlement means the lawsuit against the department is over.